Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Defiance: The Review




Its one thing when you have an Action Movie, where the antagonists are a Wiley bunch of tough looking, slick dressing, gangsters from an undisclosed western European country who wants revenge on America for Being Free; and the only one who can stop them is a handsomely aging Bruce Willis.

“WHOOOO ISSS DEEEEEES MEEEESTER VEEEYLIS YOU SPEEEEK OFFFF”?

It’s quite another to lift something right out of the pages of history to develop an action film around.

And to TOP it all off.. its actually based on a true story… well according to the movie it WAS a true story not just based on a true story… sooo.. yeah?.

Now if I know movies ( and I like to think I do) 9 times out of 10 the phrase “ based on a true story” allows the film to suck under the precedence of “ these are based on true events, we wanted to stay true to the original characters maaaaaaannn… I like to get highhhhhh man!!.. and keep the integrity of a story intaaaaaaaact BROOOOOoo”.
……okay….

Anyways…

That’s completely fine,I mean your movie could have totally used a talking dog and a lady with a prosthetic machine gun leg.. but I DIGRESS!!

Anyways…. This movie really sorta met in the middle, it had an interesting undertone of community, like how do you start re-building a civilization in the middle of the woods?

How do you protect a small band of Jews from Nazi’s Germany? And how FAR do you go to keep them safe?

And what do you do if someone threatens to bring your infant community down with anarchy?

I guess the real question is “ How Can we live like animals, but we will not become them”

Because there are certain military stratedgies that are barbaric yet necessary in times of war. So what do you do when common sense aligns with necessary
murder?

I don’t know.. and I thank god I’ve never been in that situation, but the movie poses some interesting moral dilemmas, along with some pretty cool and moving action sequences.

Unlike movies of the mid 80s to early 90s when the good guy meets up with the bad guy for the FINAL show down…. And says something cool like “ I take my coffee extra black”

Whaaaa?!... Mc Garnagle?!... I thought you were dead!

**machine gun fire explosions obligatory NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo I’ll get
you MAGARNAGLE **as he falls out the window and CRASH Lands on his
OWWWWN solid white Cadillac Limosine ,

while the protagsinst smugly remarks “ looks like he needed a lift”

… oh man!.. that WOULD Be awesome….



Ehhh.

Anyways!

What was I talking about again?

Oh yeah!.. so this movie doesn’t necessarily have that cheesy need to statisfy its
viewers through revenge, I mean he DOES but its more UN settling and realistic
than anything else.

I guess, its hard to make an action film AND value human life, and this film does
just that. I guess as its precedessor “ saving private ryan” demonstrates, and
Hollywood often tries to convince us otherwise: War is Not Cool.

And this film does a great job of expressing that idea, along with some other
interesting notions.

DEFIANTLEY an interesting film as a history piece, as an action film, or simply
something for you to mentally chew on.

See it with the fellas, hyperactive kids, and maby even your chick if you don’t
possibly mind her getting mad at you for “ never wanting to get a movie YOUR
interested in”

B*tch after BrideWars you don’t get to CHOSE NO MORE!

But forreal though 5 stars!

*** oh btw… I haven’t watched like.. the last 5 minutes of the movie?.. buuuuuut
I’m pretty sure it won’t make a big change in my review, unless something
awesomely cheesy happens:

*bad guy gets his head cut off*:

looks like he couldn’t keep a cool head

he had a good “ head “ on his shoulders

looks like he WASN’T at the “ head” of his class.



LOL.. I gotta write these down… ( or just watch Austin Powers again)

No comments: